The Information Technology Department offers Certificates. Diplomas, Bachelor Degrees & Bachelor Honours Degrees.
IT Level 4
This qualification is aimed at people with practical experience in the Information Technology field and have no formal qualification and school leavers. It facilitates entry into the Diploma in Information Technology NQF Level 5, as well as providing for initial employment in the computer industry. The qualification prepares learners for entry-level positions in the ICT or related industries. Learners are provided with a general all-round working knowledge of the ICT.
A graduate at this level will be a well-rounded entry-level Systems Support professional with a good fundamental knowledge of the Information Technology field, coupled with interpersonal and business skills, allowing for specialisation in one of the following Systems Support fields:
- Hardware and Infrastructure Support for Personal Computers
- Hardware and Infrastructure Support for Office Products
- Data Communications and Networking
- (and any new field not specified yet, allowing for new specialisations in this area)
The qualification is designed to provide a foundational qualification for people who are pursuing a career in the computer industry, or related fields. People with this qualification have an introductory level of understanding about computer industry concepts and/or are able to work in areas of Information Technology with little technical complexity.
IT Level 5
This qualification is aimed primarily at giving the learner technical, theoretical knowledge, practical knowledge and workplace knowledge and skills required in the Information Technology Industry. In addition, this qualification serves as an introductory qualification into the world of Information Technology and leading a student to a Diploma in Information Technology.
The Diploma in Information Technology NQF (Level 5) builds on the Certificate in Information Technology NQF (Level 4) and has been developed to focus on different aspects in Information Technology. This qualification aims to educate and train candidates who wish to be employed or who are employed in an Information Technology field.
IT Level 6
This qualification has been formulated such that it reflects the workplace-based needs of the Information Technology Industry as expressed by its stakeholders.
The input has been used to ensure that the qualification provides the learner with accessibility to be employed within the IT Industry.
The qualification builds on knowledge areas covered in Diploma NQF Level 5, and it facilitates entry into the Software Development, Networking and System Administration and Management Information Systems fields. It aims to enhance readiness for further study in Information Technology and related fields at the Further Education level, provides a pathway into further study at Higher Education level, as well as providing for initial employment in the computer industry.
A graduate at this level is competent in the development of IT systems in a distributed computing environment and will be competent in designing and producing software products and systems to meet specified needs so that they work reliably and their production and maintenance is cost effective.
IT Level 7 – Management Information Systems
The requirement for the development of this qualification emanated from a market need indicating the scarcity of available information technology professionals, able to design and coordinate business solutions. Occupations within areas of business analysis and information systems management require skilled people to fill the acute shortage of qualified professionals.
The qualification is designed to develop the knowledge and skills to meet the outcomes which are internationally and locally identified as critical for the Namibian market. This qualification is to enable learners to follow a career in Information Technology specifically related to the design of business solutions, using technology, to address the skills demand in Namibia and also to enable learners to pursue aligned studies at higher levels (Level 8).
Management Information Systems (MIS) plays a very important role in the organization, it creates an impact on the organization’s functions, performance and productivity. The impact of MIS on the functions is in its management with a good MIS supports the management of marketing, finance, production and personnel becomes more efficient. MIS is deemed to be an integrated user-machine system that provides information to support operations, management and decision-making functions at various levels of an organization. Career opportunities for graduates include Solutions Architect, Information Systems Analyst, Database Administrator, IS Consultant, Information Technology Business Analyst/Manager, Business Systems Analyst, ICT Solutions Consultant and Information Systems Architect.
IT Level 7 – Networking & System Admin
The purpose of this programme is to train computer scientists with detailed technical knowledge required of network technicians and engineers. In addition to technical knowledge, this program intends to instil in learners an ability to learn on their own and the ability to pursue advanced research.
The qualification provides exciting career opportunities in the fields of Information Technology such as network technician; information officer, IT support, network engineer, network designer and systems engineer. The qualification also contributes to regional and national goals by facilitating capacity building and Information Technology development for social and economic development.
IT Level 7 – Software Development
Students who pursue this degree will learn how to perform key processes at different stages of software creation, along with the fundamental theories that guide this cutting-edge field. Leaners will gain practical experience in developing software solutions that involves assembling extensive amounts of code into working applications, as well as updating and fixing problems in existing software. Learners will have the opportunity to explore the structure and design of software systems. This broad education in the field of Information Technology will also provide learners with the skills and tools needed to work with a wide range of tasks connected to the field of information technology. Leaners will have the opportunity to learn and explore multiple programming languages via hands-on practice such as:
- Web applications
Students with this degree are suited for careers in the following areas:
- Software development
- Computer systems design
- Software engineer
- Web developer
A student who has completed this qualification will be competent in providing professional, technical and developmental support in the computer industry across a range of sectors. The qualification also provides the student with the flexibility to articulate in the IT environment with a wide variety of specialisation options and to articulate within the Telecommunications, Information Technology and Electronic Industries and other industries where IT is a key component.
IT Level 8 – Management Information Systems
This program aims at providing the learner with tools to harness information technology, from both strategic and operational perspectives, to create business efficiencies. It will enhance your analytical, problem solving, decision-making and critical thinking skills and help you to develop an understanding of key business concepts.
The Bachelor of Information Technology Honours (Management Information Systems) Degree NQF Level 8 will provide highly-educated graduates with the necessary skills needed by the industries and businesses as the curriculum is designed by taking all stakeholders into account:
The International Training College – Lingua ensures that each learner develops to their full personal development by providing the opportunities for them to gain knowledge and skills.
The qualification objectives are to:
- Apply critical thinking and reasoning skills to identify problems and to develop problem-solving abilities within the business context.
- Develop potential, enabling them to face the future with confidence and determination.
- Prepare for leadership and service within a broad spectrum of business and business-related arenas.
- Acquire the tools specific to business processes and procedures and the capacity to understand the principal theory, significance and practical applications related thereto.
- Develop a solid understanding of the functional components of business – economics, marketing, accounting, finance, law, management, thus enabling the graduate to assume managerial trainee and like positions, in which they will have the occasion to grow and develop further.
- Apply theoretical knowledge to the solution of real-life (field related) problems both individually and through teamwork within the context of a variety of active learning environments.
- Develop strong communication skills with due emphasis on the tools of effective writing.
Successful graduates may find employment as:
- Information Systems Managers
- Database Administrators
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Software Engineers
- Computer Network Architects
- IT Consultancies
- Business Intelligence Managers
Level 8- Networking & Systems Admin
Learners enrolling for the Bachelor of Information Technology (Honours) Networking & System Administration learn the theoretical concepts and practical applications of network communications, hardware and software involved in computer systems. The qualification will enable the learner to gain extensive knowledge and experience in designing, constructing, analysing, and securing networks. The completion of this program qualifies graduates to manage computer systems and network infrastructures. Students who have earned honours degree may apply to a master’s degree program in Information Technology with an emphasis in computer systems and networking, while others may choose to enter the workforce immediately. Graduates in this field will demonstrate critical skill such as:
- Critical thinking for identifying the networking needs of the company.
- Problem solving for addressing pain points in a timely and effective manner.
- Oral and written communication to manage all technical documentation, interdepartmental interactions and implementation of networking related protocols.
- Project management to execute and sustain all networks in the company.
- Leadership to manage the networking team
Career titles for these professionals can include:
- Computer systems administrator
- Network administrator
- Network architect
A graduate at this level is competent in the development of IT systems in a distributed computing environment and will be competent in Networking & Systems Administration to meet specified needs so that they work reliably and their production and maintenance is cost effective.
Level 8 – Software Development
The purpose of this Qualification is to produce well trained people who can conduct a practical investigation to provide stakeholders with information about the quality of the software product or service under test. It will provide learners with both theoretical and practical learning to develop their ability as software testers in the workplace. In essence, it will equip the learner with the ability to apply the software testing process of validating and verifying that a software programme/application/product:
On achieving this Qualification, the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Evaluate requirements and requirement-based test design.
- Execute the testing process.
- Manage the testing process, execution and defect tracking.
- Conduct static testing.
The Qualification not only consists of knowledge and skills required to equip the learner to perform the function of Software Testing professionally with insight, but contains building blocks of skills and knowledge that can be developed further in Qualifications in Information Technology and Communications (ITC) at higher levels.
Level 3 (Bridging Course)
- Option 1: Candidates must be in possession of a NSSCO/H qualification with less than 14 points.
- Option 2: Candidates must be in possession of a grade 10 certificate.
- Option 3: Candidates must be in possession of a NQF Level 2 qualification from an accredited institution.
- Option 1: Candidates must be in possession of a NSSCO/H qualification with less than 25 points but a minimum of 14 points.
- Option 2:Candidate must be in possession of a NQF Level 3 qualification from an accredited institution.
- Option 1: Candidates must be in possession of a NSSCO/H qualification with a minimum of 25 points.
- Option 2: Candidates must be in possession of a NQF Level 4 qualification from an accredited institution.