The Information Technology Department offers Certificates and Diplomas.
The purpose the certificate is to build a foundational entry into the field of Computer Science and Information Technology, specifically into the field of Software Development, covering basic knowledge needed for further study in the field of Information Technology.
The qualification is designed to:
- Provide candidates with an entry level for further study in Information Technology and related fields, as well as for initial employment in the computer industry.
- Provide a foundational qualification for people who are pursuing a career in the computer industry, or related fields. People with this qualification have an introductory level of understanding about computer industry concepts and/or are able to work in areas of Information Technology with little technical complexity.
The Diploma (Level 6) in Information Technology builds on the Certificate in Information Technology and has been developed to focus on:
- Education and training of candidates who wish to be employed or are employed in an IT related field such as in information system design and management, IT manufacturing, IT maintenance and technical services areas, e-business strategy and/or technical support, systems analysts, software engineers and developers
- Giving candidates opportunities to gain a recognised qualification to enter employment as an Information Technology (IT) professional or progress to higher education qualifications such as a full or part-time degree in computing or related area
- Giving candidates opportunities to develop a range of skills and techniques and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
DIPLOMA (formerly Advanced Diploma)
The purpose of the Diploma (Level 7) in Information Technology is to develop in a student the competence required to assist in the implementation of IT activities and skills with or without supervision depending on the level of tasks undertaken. This qualification will assist with the regulation of people entering the industry ensuring a more competent workforce and provide qualifying students with the opportunity to further study in related learning areas at any higher education institution.
The aims of this qualification are to:
- Meet the needs of candidates who work or want to work as software developers, computer games designers or be prepared for their first management position within a team of software designers in the ICT sector
- Meet the needs of candidates who support or want to develop software applications in a variety of sectors
- Allow candidates to develop and practise the skills required for employment and/or career progression in the sector
- Software Development
- Computer System Analysis
- Computer Programming
- Database Information System Support
- Web Development
- Computer Repair & Maintenance
- Networking Support
DURATION: CERTIFICATE : 1 YEAR, DIPLOMA : 2 YEARS, DIPLOMA (formerly Advanced Diploma) : 3 YEARS
Candidates entering this qualification, should have been in grade 12 previously and be able to demonstrate foundational skills in English and Mathematics. Those applicants who, for a variety of reasons, have not gained the academic qualifications necessary for admission to the full first year of an academic programme may be permitted to register for a Bridging Programme in Mathematics and English.
The learning content of the programme consists of the following compulsory modules:
YEAR 1 (CERTIFICATE)
YEAR 2 (DIPLOMA)
YEAR 3 (DIPLOMA)- FORMERLY ADVANCED DIPLOMA