The Department of Information Technology, International Training College-Lingua, is organizing its first ever Information Technology Week. The aim of this event is to avail students the opportunity to apply or do the practical aspects of what they have learnt from the classroom experience. In such a way, we expose them to an interactive environment where they can interact with major players in academics and the Information Technology (IT) industry. The students will also be able to exhibit/showcase their talent in the area of software development, networking, e-learning and other fields of IT.
This event, which comes under the theme “Creating Industry partnership through Information Technology”, will now draw major players in the IT industry and the academia. It is specifically aimed at participants who want to pursue a career in the ICT industry, those who have businesses in the ICT industry and those who want to gain ICT related skills. The event will also provide the participants with an opportunity to understand and discuss new technologies and applications. They will be able to address implications of ICT use and adoption with an emphasis on Innovative technologies both in the IT industry, academia and government. They will examine the role that markets play in the development and distribution of ICT infrastructure and services and the conditions that lead to reduced investment risk and increased investment in the ICT sector. It will challenge participants to develop ideas for ICT-enabled, socially responsible businesses and programs that can be initiated by young people and introducing the fundamentals of developing business plans and team proposals. The event will principally serve as a base for networking among participants which will bring major players in the academia, IT industry and students together where they will network and share common ideas among themselves.
Other objectives of the event are:
- To raise awareness on ICT initiatives / opportunities available and how ICT applications can assist individuals, in especially their developing self-employment
- To give the youths some idea of the type of skills required to successfully start and run a small business.
- To learn to use raw data to design an interactive
- To give the IT industry the opportunity to showcase their business activities
- To provide the youths with an opportunity to understand and discuss new technologies and applications and the implications of ICT use and adoption with an emphasis on Innovative technologies for connecting rural
- Examine the role that markets play in the development and distribution of ICT infrastructure and services
The highlights of these activities which will take place at the Roman Catholic Hall on the 25th of September at 9am include:
- Speeches by guest speakers
- Presentations and exhibitions by (ITCL) students
- Presentations and exhibitions by various IT firms in the IT industry
Other important stakeholders such as the Ministry of Higher Education, Education Regulatory bodies of Namibia (NCHE, NQA, NTA), some embassies, etc have been invited to grace the occasion.
As part of her corporate social responsibility, ITCL will also visit high schools to carry out training on computer maintenance installation, troubleshooting and repairs.
The information technology week will be followed by Students Entrepreneurial workshop on the 11th of October, 2018 where students will be trained on Entrepreneurial skills. The aim of this workshop is to:
- Revitalise the local community through entrepreneurship
- Promote innovation, resilience and creativity
- Allow disadvantaged youth the ability to succeed regardless of their background
- Promote social and cultural identity
- Build a stronger sense of community
- Give youth, especially at-risk youth, a sense of meaning and belonging through entrepreneurship
- Create a sense of independence among youths
- Create a Hands-On Entrepreneurial experience
- Make the youths experience self-discovery through Entrepreneurship